[TUHS] Gnu/Stallman (was Bugs in V6 'dcheck')

Dan Cross crossd at gmail.com
Tue Jun 3 05:54:28 AEST 2014

On Mon, Jun 2, 2014 at 3:30 PM, John Cowan <cowan at mercury.ccil.org> wrote:

> Dan Cross scripsit:
>
> > But nostalgia aside, something I find interesting (and frankly a bit
> > distressing) is what seems to me to simply be an acceptance that it's all
> > going to end with Linux.  That is to say, no one ever seems to talk about
> > what will come *after* Linux.  Will Linus's kernel truly be the last
> kernel
> > anyone works on seriously?  Somehow I very much doubt that.  And yet, you
> > don't see a lot of talk about evolutionary paths beyond Linux; it's a
> sort
> > of tunnel vision.
>
> This is like asking when there will be a new scientific discovery in some
> field.

Forgive me, but I think that's a bit of an odd analogy (or perhaps an
indication that I did not adequately explain what I meant).  However, let
me run with it for a moment and rephrase my statement: there can only be a
discovery if one decides it's worth doing the sort of investigation that
would lead to a new discovery, and I wonder whether "we" still have that
kind of curiosity or drive.  Or has Linux become so entrenched that no one
can imagine bothering anymore?

There will be a new kernel when someone decides, as Linus did, to
> write a new kernel.  If it catches on, it may supplement or replace Linux.

To whit: it appears that "we" (for some large value of "we") have
collectively decided that it's not worth looking for a replacement for
Linux.  If nothing else, I find that interesting.

        - Dan C.