[TUHS] Teletype

Cory Smelosky b4 at gewt.net
Tue Sep 16 05:51:35 AEST 2014

On Mon, 15 Sep 2014, John Foust wrote:

> At 01:04 PM 8/15/2014, Brian Zick wrote:
>> Would it still be possible today for someone like me to go out, and find an old teletype terminal (an old ASR or DECwriter or something), set up a phone line and modem and get a roll of paper, and then actually use it to connect to other computers?
>
> Yes, lots of people do it.  There is a "Greenkeys" mailing list

I have plans to do it once I get the PSU for my LA120 sorted out.

[...]
> populated by mostly ham radio RTTY types, but it's also a great archive
> of posts about hook-ups and repairs.  Yes, there are current-loop
> adapters and RS-232 to USB adapters that can be used to connect
> to contemporary machines.  There are also streaming audio web sites
> that send RTTY-style signals if you'd like to emulate your old radio
> over the Internet but still use your RTTY audio decoding hardware.

[...]
> They routinely huff and puff at recent auction prices for the Model 33,
> though, as old computer collectors routinely pay $1,000 for them, while
> it's tough to give away the better-built (and heavier!) teletypes.

Really is annoying how much they go for. :(

> Last summer I picked up a Western Union-branded Teletype Model 28 KSR
> (circa mid-1950s) in near-pristine condition for $50.  Almost twenty
> years ago I found a Model 33 in a university dumpster.

I got a (broken, but repairable) LA120 for the total cost of $0 as the guy
has like 10 and likes enabling my hobby. ;)

> - John

Cory Smelosky
http://gewt.net Personal stuff
http://gimme-sympathy.org Projects