[TUHS] Scan of "Edition 0" manual

Warren Toomey wkt at tuhs.org
Sun Dec 27 00:09:03 AEST 2015

On Sun, Nov 29, 2015 at 10:24:13AM +1100, Warren Toomey wrote:
> > Among the papers of the late Bob Morris I have found a
> > Unix manual that I don't remember at all--a draft by
> > Dennis Ritchie, in the style of (but not designated as)
> > a technical report with numbered sections and subsections.
>
> Doug has kindly made available a scan of this document.

I've just spent the evening OCR'ing it with tesseract and then hand cleaning
the output. A plain text (no formatting) version is now at:

http://www.tuhs.org/Archive/PDP-11/Distributions/research/McIlroy_v0/UnixEditionZero.txt

Doug, page A7 is missing. Could you e-mail in a scan of that page?

I am still amazed at how eloquent and succinct Dennis was at writing.
This document is an amazing introduction to the ideas and features of
Unix. It's a pity they didn't take this to SOSP in 1971!

Cheers, Warren