[TUHS] mkfs somewhere else?

Jacob Ritorto jacob.ritorto at gmail.com
Sun Feb 8 16:22:06 AEST 2015

Hi,
  I'm running 2.9BSD on a pdp11/34 with an Emulex sc21 controller to some
Fuji160 disks.  Booting with root on RL02 for now, but want to eventually
have the whole system on the Fujis and disconnect the rl02s.

  While the previous owner of the disks appears to have suffered a
headcrash near cylinder 0, I'm having an impressive degree of success
writing to other parts of the disk.

  However, when I try to mkfs, I can see the heads trying to write on the
headcrashed part of the disk.  (Nice having those plexiglass covers!)

  Is there a way to tell mkfs (or perhaps some other program) to not try to
write on the damaged cylinders?

thx
jake