[TUHS] 2.9BSD on an actual rl02 - swap confusion

Noel Chiappa jnc at mercury.lcs.mit.edu
Mon Feb 9 06:42:07 AEST 2015

    > From: Jacob Ritorto

    > I'm having trouble understanding how to get my swap configured. Since
    > rl02s are so little, the MAKE file in /dev doesn't partition them into
    > a, b, c, etc. However, when MAKE makes the /dev/rl0 device, it uses
    > only 8500 of its 10000 blocks, so what would presumably be intended as
    > swap space does exist. Swap is usually linked to the b partition,
    > right? So how do I create this b partition on an rl02?

I don't know how the later systems work, but in V6, the swap device, and the
start block / # of blocks are specified in the c.c configuration file (i.e.
they are compiled into the system). So you can take one partition, and by
specifying less than the full size to 'mkfs', you can use the end of the
partition for swap space (which is presumably what's happening with /dev/rl0
here).

	Noel