[TUHS] Questions regarding early Unix contributors

Jeremy C. Reed reed at reedmedia.net
Fri Sep 25 03:58:12 AEST 2015

On Thu, 24 Sep 2015, Diomidis Spinellis wrote:

> - Is Chuck Haley listed in the book as the author of tar the same as
> Charles B. Haley who co-authored V7 usr/doc/{regen,security,setup}?  He
> appears to have worked both at Bell labs (tar, usr/doc/*) and at
> Berkeley (ex, Pascal).  Is this correct?

Yes, same. Also see note from Ritchie: "tar was done by C. B. Haley
while he was here at BTL in the research group.  This is my memory, and
is confirmed by his web page."
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!search/haley$20tar/alt.folklore.computers/K2gh19Qcv8Q/j8TZXSyFBoMJ
(I don't see on his webpage though. and the old page isn't on the
wayback machine.)

(I really need to finish my first version of my book. Of the 80+ old BSD
contributors I interviewed, I think he is the only one to tell me he
wasn't interested in participating.)

> BSD:

I looked in every passwd related file in my entire archive of all old
BSD releases and don't see any of these. (I have heard from some of them
though.)

> Charles B. Haley

The old winfo database (which includes "a miniature
/etc/passwd to speed up user name searches) and its manual has "chuck".
But I see you already have him in the following:

> https://github.com/dspinellis/unix-history-make/tree/master/src/author-path

This is awesome.

By the way, a list of the people I contacted from around 4.0 and
earlier is at
http://reedmedia.net/books/bsd-history/tmp-pre-mid-1980-people

If you are curious ...

t1:bsd-history$ wc -l PEOPLE # notes and contact details
    8004 PEOPLE
t1:bsd-history$ grep ^== PEOPLE | wc -l
     452
t1:bsd-history$ find interviews/ -type f | grep -v my-letters | wc -l
      95
t1:bsd-history$ grep bibitem generated/book.bbl | wc -l
     221
t1:bsd-history$ grep "\cite{" svn-bsd-history/*tex | wc -l
    1282
t1:bsd-history$ grep CITE: svn-bsd-history/*tex | cut -d : -f 2- | sort | uniq | wc -l
     190
(left to add bibtex entries for)