[TUHS] v6 debugging

Clem Cole clemc at ccc.com
Tue Jan 26 01:26:51 AEST 2016

On Mon, Jan 25, 2016 at 10:12 AM, Noel Chiappa <jnc at mercury.lcs.mit.edu>
wrote:

> Also, Tech Sq was mostly about PDP-10's - initially running ITS, later
> TWENEX
> - and only a couple of smaller groups ran Unix.

​In those days, I knew / knew of some of Steve Wards' guys in the RTS lab
working on Trix (Wayne Gramlich [late of CMU -- the connection], Jack Test,
Tom Teixeira, Terry Hayes, etc...).
Wayne brought some of the CMU hacks to MIT and sent us some of theirs such
as the Chaos code.   For instance, my >>guess<< is that fsck came to MIT
via that connect, since Ted wrote much of it at CMU.

FYI: I would later do a really crappy job of hacking the Ritchie C compiler
to work with an experimental chip we got from Moto (what would become the
68K) - it generated correct code (just barely) but worked.   It was from
that connect I learned that Ward's guys did a >>much<< better job for Trix
project (and maybe used the Johnson compiler - but could target a couple of
different micros).  I remember I switched to their compiler when I got it
(from Jack I think).  I believe I even still have 9-track tape of it
somewhere in my basement.

Clem