[TUHS] ARPAnet now 4 nodes

Deborah Scherrer dscherrer at solar.stanford.edu
Tue Dec 5 11:56:58 AEST 2017

This was looooong before Cliff Stoll.  I worked at LBL for 14 years, in
the Computer Science & Applied Math (CSAM) group.   Don't remember the
exact dates this was happening, but something like late 60s - early
70s.   I remember discussing with Dennis Hall the report back to DARPA
that emphasized no value for data transfer but high value for
communications.   (Unfortunately, Dennis is gone now.) We even had a
"demonstration" for DARPA.  However, the nodes we needed in a couple
places weren't in those places yet, so we "simulated" a response by
having something in, say, San Francisco receive an internet request,
read it with their eyes, then type in a response.  ;-)    At least DARPA
folks were told this was a simulation.

Deborah