[TUHS] Oracle euthanizes Solaris 12, expunging it from roadmap

Rico Pajarola rp at servium.ch
Tue Jan 24 13:51:49 AEST 2017

On Sat, Jan 21, 2017 at 12:32 PM, Arthur Krewat <krewat at kilonet.net> wrote:

> Take another look at Solaris 11 - the pkg command is basically the same
> thing. Install PHP, MYSQL, Apache, update the system, do almost anything.

I've used Solaris 2.5.1, 8, 10, and 11 extensively. The pkg command was
cool (and so was blastwave's pkg-get before pkg was incorporated into the
base system), but it was always some kind of "poor-mans" yum/apt-get (with
occasional manual surgery required to make stuff work).

I've booted Solaris 11 on a slew of servers and PC's since it came out.
> From Intel SATA to LSI SAS, Emulex fiber channel cards, Qlogic fiber cards,
> Intel 10Gbe NICs, etc.

that wasn't my experience. HW support in Solaris 11 was orders of magnitude
better than older versions, especially (and surprisingly) on laptops, but
any random network card or SATA/SAS controller (if it wasn't
3com/Realtek/Intel/LSI) had a good chance of not working out of the box, or
at all.

Solaris 11 had a lot of cool, even "linux-y" things, but it was too little,
too late, and Oracle immediately killed whatever velocity they had when
they took over. But at this point, we were already actively getting rid of
it anyway (10 was the last version we deployed in production before jumping
ship).