[TUHS] TECO was: Re: basic tools / Universal Unix

Clem Cole clemc at ccc.com
Thu Nov 16 06:19:08 AEST 2017

On Wed, Nov 15, 2017 at 2:52 PM, Arthur Krewat <krewat at kilonet.net> wrote:

> When did EMACS start coloring things?

​I'm fairly sure, Gosling EMACS could do color by '83 when we had it on the
Masscomp systems.​  Cantrell's Teco was a year or two later always support
color in some manner, because was a graphics guy at Masscomp (and DEC
before that).

I'm dating this by, the fact I had left Berkeley by then.   PC or one of
the HW folks  had written a set of EMACS macro's to emulate VMS's EDT for
the ex-DEC HW guys which used color.   The MIT contingent was all EMACS,
but we switched to Zimmerman's EMACS when we hired Steve I want to say in
84 or 85. I remember there was some heartache because Zimmerman EMACS was
very close to ITS EMACS and preferred by the ex-MIT folks (unlike Gosling
EMACS).   But the color stuff for EDT broke and there was complaining from
the HW folks.  [Andy Tannenbaum, Eric Ginger and I were the die hard ed/vi
folks - which in those days was BW - to this day even with vim, I still
rarely use colors with that editor].