[TUHS] old X versions (was:X and NeWS history)

Wesley Parish wes.parish at paradise.net.nz
Wed Sep 20 09:40:31 AEST 2017

Quoting Gregg Levine <gregg.drwho8 at gmail.com>:

> Hello!
> Wasn't the original project called "Athena", and wasn't it pursued by
> one of the many Labs at MIT? I remember going over it in a big way
> about the same time I started being an almost serious kernel hacker,
> and that was while the kernel created by Linus was using BitKeeper as
> its source control mechanism. This was around the turn of the century.
>
> Oddly enough I also pursued and engaged a company who attempted to
> combine an early X release with thier DOS based multitasking tool. The
> discussion was rewarding, but it did not save the company.

DeskView/X? I came across that in the early nineties and thought it sounded promising, but as I heard
nothing more of it after a while I thought, they've gone under.

Wesley Parish

> -----
> Gregg C Levine gregg.drwho8 at gmail.com
> "This signature fought the Time Wars, time and again."
>

> On Tue, Sep 19, 2017 at 10:05 AM, Jon Steinhart <jon at fourwinds.com>
> wrote:
> > Nigel Williams writes:
> >> Is the forerunner of X, I think called W? still around somewhere in
> source-form?
> >
> > No clue. Did a quick search and didn't find it.

"I have supposed that he who buys a Method means to learn it." - Ferdinand Sor,
Method for Guitar

"A verbal contract isn't worth the paper it's written on." -- Samuel Goldwyn