[TUHS] /dev/drum

Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Sat Apr 28 09:39:27 AEST 2018

On Fri, Apr 27, 2018 at 5:10 PM, Johnny Billquist <bqt at update.uu.se> wrote:

> On 2018-04-28 01:01, Noel Chiappa wrote:
>
>>      > From: Johnny Billquist
>>
>>      >> Well, the 1972 edition of the -11/45 processor handbook
>>                     ^^
>>
>>      > It would be nice if you actually could point out where this is the
>>      > case. I just went through that 1973 PDP-11/45 handbook
>>                                         ^^
>>
>> Yes, the '73 one (red/purple cover) had switched. It's only the '72 one
>> (red/white cover) that says 'segments'.
>>

> Yes, I know you said 1972, and I said 1973.
> For 1972 I only found the 11/40 handbook. But, as I said, that handbook
> also says "page". If you have some link to the version you refer to, it
> would be interesting.
>
> Told you I searched around in different handbooks from that era, and found
> none who said segments.

The OS Book I used in college in the late 80's said 'segments' to describe
the PDP-11 MMU. At least that's my memory, I can't even recall the name of
the OS book, and my cache of college textbooks has gone to good will years
ago. IIRC, it was because they were so large relative to the VAX and made
'page demand' difficult to implement.

Warner