[TUHS] off-topic list

Grant Taylor gtaylor at tnetconsulting.net
Tue Jun 26 01:05:18 AEST 2018

On 06/25/2018 12:15 AM, arnold at skeeve.com wrote:
> So what is the alternative?  I've been using it for years with a
> pretty static setup to route incoming mail to different places.  I need
> *something* to do what it does.

As others have pointed out, Sieve and Maildrop are a couple of options.

I've looked at both of them a few times, somewhat in earnest when I last
built my mail server,  but didn't feel that they would be drop in
replacements for my existing LDA needs.

Perhaps my limitations are my own making.  I use Maildir and want an LDA
that is compatible with that.  At (currently) 453 procmail recipes, I'd
like something that is closer to a drop in replacement.  I will rewrite
things if I must, but I'd rather not if it's not required.

I think one of the reasons the LDA space is languishing is that many
mail servers seem to migrating to mail stores that are more centralized
/ virtualized under one unix account, and they come with their own
purpose built LDA.

The other option that Arnold mentioned, writing your own LDA, seems
somewhat unpleasant to me.  Can it be done, absolutely.  I'm afraid that
anything I would produce would likely share similar security problems
that Procmail may very well have.  Which leaves me wondering, am I
better off using a tool with a questionable security posture and others
looking at it and trying to abuse it -or- my own tool with a completely
unknown security posture that nobody else is looking at.  Thus I choose
the lesser of the evils and continue to use Procmail.

Thanks to Michael and Adam for mentioning Sieve and Maildrop
(respectively) while I was too lazy to comment on my phone in bed.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die