[TUHS] Unix on Zilog Z8000?

Oliver Lehmann lehmann at ans-netz.de
Thu Jan 23 22:01:20 AEST 2020

Hi,

let me just reply to this single message :)

> Details with Docs, Schematics and Sourcecode at: http://www.pofo.de/P8000/

Wow - my page gets quoted on TUHS-ML :)

The 16 Bit board runs WEGA (renamed copy of ZEUS). The board is a copy
of the 16 Bit Board from Zilogs System 8000. Some parts where added
because the subsystem design is different (serial ports, harddisk,
floppy disks instead of tape,...).
WEGA only runs on a Z8001 (no Z8002) and the OS was able to execute
(and compile) segmented (full memory access) and unsegmented (only 64K
access iirc) binaries.

The OS of the P8000 is as I said a copy of ZEUS. The name ZEUS was
"replaced" with WEGA in the executables (hex editor).
Some parts of the system where reverse engineered and altered. I had
contact to a kernel developer after the system collapsed who told me
some stories ;)
While the userland ist nearly a 100% copy of ZEUS, main parts of the
kernel (dev) where changed to handle the different system layout.

I own a complete and running P8000 as well as a S8000 which could run
if I would have
a) a copy of the Zilog ZEUS Installation Tape (+ system diagnostic tape)
b) a working tape drive (non-standard tape not compatible to something else)
c) a SA1100 harddisk, or c) a SMD Controller + SMD disks.
d) time

After I designed, built and programmed a harddisk subsystem emulator
for the P8000, I also planed to emulate the whole disk subsystem of
the S8000. Additionally I planned to use a partial backup of a ZEUS
installation I have + WEGA to generate a running ZEUS-a-like but then
I became a father and time was gone ;)

So right now my S8000 sits in my basement togehter with some circuit
ideas and logical analysation results and waits for more time ;)

Some links...

Kernel Sources of WEGA I could get my hands on, or are disassembled
and "make-it-C-code-again"ed by me
https://github.com/OlliL/P8000/tree/master/WEGA/src/uts
Beside that there is also other stuff like C compiler sources and so
on - just navigate around :)

Zilog S8000 pics
http://pics.pofo.de/index.php?/category/129

EAW P8000 pics
http://pics.pofo.de/index.php?/category/21

Some S8000 sources (mostly firmware, rebuilt with having access to the
P8000 firmware)
https://github.com/OlliL/S8000

Any questions are welcome....

Best regards,