[TUHS] python

Pete Wright via TUHS tuhs at tuhs.org
Thu Aug 3 12:21:31 AEST 2023

On 8/2/23 19:07, Clem Cole wrote:
> IMO (Like Larry) no printf stinks.  But the real killer for my sustain
> for Python is the use white space and being typeless.   My daughter
> loves it for her cloud development and we argue a bit.  But it was the
> first language she really mastered in college and she never took a
> competitive languages course so I’m not so sure really had experienced
> much beyond it for real programs.   Maybe I’m just an old fart but
> between C, Go and Rust I’m pretty good.  I do write scripts in Bourne
> shell and or awk truth be known.

as one of those "new kids" who finds python to be a decent enough
language for my cloud development tasks - my main observation is that
having the python REPL was an eye opener.

after fighting the learning curve of C and Java the interactivity of the
whole thing was a revelation.  being able to open a unix shell, run
python and have a basic webserver running in a few lines of code was
fantastic for my young hacker mind.  this also probably helps explain
the popularity of javascript too.

this isn't to say i think python is the end-all of programming, far from
it, but it certainly took a lot of the novice programmer anxiety out of
programming for me.

if only i'd encountered erlang during those formative years...

-pete

--
Pete Wright
pete at nomadlogic.org