[TUHS] Early UNIX Explor Support?

segaloco via TUHS tuhs at tuhs.org
Tue May 23 09:59:30 AEST 2023

Good day, something I've come across in my documentation study that I finally got around to researching a bit is a reference to the language Explor in the V2 ld(I) page:

'There are libraries for Fortran (x="f"), C (x="c"), Explor (x="e") and B (x="b").'

The manual has no corresponding mention of any Explor environment, not even a section VI page.  The only other UNIX Explor reference I can easily find is on the mailing list here indicating that there is a version of Explor for UNIX on a 1977 tape here (in the 1/explor+dl directory): https://www.tuhs.org/Archive/Applications/Usenix_77/ug091377.tar.gz

Does anyone know if there is continuity here or if the V2 reference and the code on the tape are only related in that they're both for Explor?

- Matt G.